FELLOWSHIP WITH THE FATHER AND WITH ONE ANOTHER
1 John 1:1-10
1. Read verses 1-2. (Compare with John 1:1-4, 14) What (who) was from the beginning? Who is “we”? What has the author seen and touched? What does he proclaim?
2. Read verses 3-4. Why is his proclamation reliable? Why does he make this proclamation? What is fellowship with disciples? What does he mean by fellowship with the Father and Son? (See John 17:3; 13:34,35) Why “joy”?
3. Read verses 5-6. What is the message John and the disciples heard from him (Jesus Christ)? What does it mean that “God is light?” What does it mean to walk in darkness? Why are darkness and light incompatible? Lies and truth? (See John 3:19-21)
4. Read verse 7. Why must we walk in the light? What does it mean to walk in the light? What is exposed if we walk in the light? How can sinners bear to walk in the light?
5. Read verses 8-10. Why can no one claim to be sinless? What can we do about our sins? When we say we don’t need any forgiveness, what does God say? How can we make room for God’s word in our lives? Why must we?